The construction of the Alhambra was linked to the need to develop an effective hydraulic system.
The Lower Gardens connect with the Generalife Theatre (Teatro del Generalife).
The door has a fairly rich display of craftwork. The entrance to the palace is preceded by the sight of the markings of the traditional symbols of the hand and the key in the arch.
Also known as the Court of the Estuary, it is a long and narrow court.
It is so called because the legendary romantic scenes in the novels written by Genés Pérez de Hita are believed to have been set here.
It is a small stairway that is protected by vaulting laurel trees, designed in a way that would suit the needs of a medieval sultan.
The low-lying windows are a characteristic of Nasrid architecture.
The Generalife High Gardens resemble more the traditional Andalusian house and walled garden in Granada at the time than they do a Muslim farmstead.
The Promenade of the Oleanders is connected to the Promenade of the Cypress Trees.
Following the Promenade of the Oleander, the Promenade of the Cypress Trees takes the visitor to the place of exit.
The Festival of Music and Dance of Granada in 1952 provided an impetus to the building of a theatre in the historical-artistic monuments complex.
The hydraulic system in the Alhambra depends on the Sultan’s Canal, which carries water from the Darro River to the Generalife, and from there, by aqueduct to the Alhambra.
The Nasrid sultans left various areas for agriculture and livestock breeding, of which the Generalife, with its large vegetable gardens and a palace, was nearest to the Alhambra.
The irrigation channel ran parallel to the walls of the vegetable gardens. At one point the water was conducted through a perpendicular underground gallery, a deep well, a waterwheel and a large pool, in order for it to reach the highest cultivation area.
The underground gallery ends in a well below a tower, called Tower of the Ladies (Torre de las Damas), which was built to protect it and to support the waterwheel. Brick platforms surround the pool, and there is a stairway to a terrace that must have been an observation point or a pavilion over the Water Pond (Albercón).
As a result of the recovery of the Alhambra and its heritage in 1926, a new Water pond (Albercón) was built beside the Nasrid structure in order to increase the water pressure along the entire circuit. In the 1960s, with the increase of tourism, a third Water pond (Albercón) was built.