Washington Irving Monument

This sculpture is dedicated to the figure of the famous New York writer Washington Irving (1783-1859) to commemorate the 150th anniversary of his death.

For your interest

  • The Gate of the Pomegranates

    The Renaissance gate replaced a previous one that was Muslim. On its tympanum is an imperial coat of arms topped by three pomegranates after which the gate is named.

  • Gate of the Carriages

    The Gate of the Wagons is not originally from the Nasrid period, it was carried out later, between 1526 and 1536.

  • Gate of Bibarrambla

    This is popularly known as the gate of Bibrrambla, Bab al-Ramla in Arabic or gate of Arenal, (sand) names that it adopted according to the place where it was originally located.

  • Charles V’s Pillar

    Located beside the Gate of Justice, its structure symbolizes the three rivers of Granada.

  • Dar al-Arusa

    Also known as the Bride’s Palace or the Newlywed’s Palace.

  • The Moor’s Chair

    Also known as Santa Elena’s Castle, it was built to guard and protect an area of the Generalife where water is channelled.

  • The Crimson Towers

    The Crimson Towers, a primitive structure, was probably part of a series of watchtowers that at one time belonged to the first Citadel of the Alhambra

  • The Catalans’ Villa

    The Catalans’ Villa is located in the southeast, adjacent to the Alhambra Wood, also known as the Split Rock.

  • Rodríguez-Acosta Foundation

    he Rodriguez-Acosta Foundation was created in 1941, thanks to the benefaction of the painter Jose Maria Rodriguez-Acosta..

  • The Alhambra Wood

    On the other side of the Gate of the Pomegranates is the Alhambra wood, with a road and two side trails.

  • Generalife Meadow

    In addition to being a natural reserve and a rustic area, the park has sporting facilities, hiking paths and places of archaeological interest.

  • Cultural Association Links

    The Alhambra complex is a venue for the activities of a number of cultural associations.

Location

This sculpture is dedicated to the figure of the famous New York writer Washington Irving (1783-1859) to commemorate the 150th anniversary of his death. He is considered the first American Hispanist and ambassador of the romantic vision given to the Alhambra by the 19th century travellers. Irving managed to lodge in the palatine city for some time, and was fascinated by a decadent Alhambra dreamt about and with a glorious past impregnating every corner of the precincts. Here in this Nasrid palace his popular Tales of the Alhambra were born, formed thanks to the oral tradition of the local residents, a mixture of real and unreal, which made his writing enchant many travellers of different periods who came to Granada to live and experience his history during his stay in the palace of imagination.

The sculpture of 2.15 metres high was inaugurated in 2009, and represents the writer standing on a marble-type stone pedestal where we can read the inscription “Son of the Alhambra”, which he liked to call himself.  He was elegantly dressed and had a certain air of adventurer, carrying in his left hand a notebook where he recorded the sensations he felt during his trip. It is cast in bronze giving it a greenish colour, which blends with the natural green of the woods.    At his feet and on the pedestal, a Nasrid capital turned upside down, there is a travelling bag and a briefcase of symbolic drawings, which inspired the sculptor, Julio Lopez Hernandez in the encounter of two worlds, Irving’s original one, America, and Granada.