His visit to the Alhambra impressed him so much that he decided to build an “imperial suite” near the Moorish palaces
There are four main gates in the wall, two on the north side, -the Gate of Arms and the Gate of the Arrabal, and two on the south side,the Gate of Justice and the Gate of the Seven Floors.
It was the residential area of the royal guard in charge of the security of the palatial city
la Torre de la Vela, nombrada en época nazarí torre Mayor y durante el siglo XVI puerta del Sol ya que se refleja en la fachada de mediodía actuando como un reloj de sol para la ciudad.
The decision to build the Palace in the Alhambra symbolized the triumph of Christianity over Islam.
The tour of the Alhambra also includes a visit to the museum, with its collection of Nasrid Art, which was found in archaeological excavations or restoration works in the Monument.
With Latin-cross floor design and side chapels, outstanding is its Baroque altarpiece framed by large Solomon-style columns from the 17th century
Drawings, paintings, musical scores and letters of the Grenadian composer, Ángel Barrios, form this collection
Two round fountains with water flowing into a pool in the centre of the court are its main feature.
Counsel of Ministers meetings and worship took place in these rooms.
The beautiful woodwork ceiling gives its name to this room, whose original decoration is attributed to Muhammad V.
The Sultan received his vassals at the foot of the Façade of Comares, which separated the administrative and familiar sectors inside the Palace.
The Main Canal acts as a mirror that reflects the building structures and breaks the structural horizontal lines of the court.
There are two possible origins of its name: its cylindrical vault or the Arab term “al-baraka”, which is repeatedly inscribed on its walls.
This Throne Room is the largest room of the building, flanked by nine small rooms, one of which was reserved for the Sultan
The baths being essential Moorish urban elements, it is easy to understand why each palace in the Alhambra has its own baths.
One of the rooms in the Palace of the Lions was used as a hall or vestibule owing to its proximity to the main entrance of the Palace
The Court of the Lions – Fountain – Water Jet . Alhambra of Granada
A spectacular vault decorated with eight-point star-shaped stalactites that open out on eight elephant-like trunks is the most remarkable ornamental element of the hall.
Five alcoves that flank a large hall were used for receptions and celebrations. Their domed ceilings are its most remarkable feature.
It got its name from the ajimeces, wooden balconies with latticework that are found in this room.
The vault, which has a central star motif made up of stalactites, is the masterpiece of the second main chamber of the Palace of the Lions.
The delicate tile decoration and the well-proportioned Nasrid architectural style make this one of most beautiful of the Alhambra Palaces
An open gallery overlooking the Tower of Abu-I-Hayyay that breaks with the conventional wall patterns.
A balcony occupies the upper part of the south loft serving as a corridor between the rooms and protecting them
Though structurally similar to the Court of the Grated Window, it is more cloister-like. It bears the name of its balcony.
A large central pond faces the arched portico behind which stands the Tower of the Ladies
Rawda means cemetery. It was here, beside the Palace of the Lions, where the royal family interred its deceased family members
Outstanding is the long pool in the central courtyard with a lush garden, on the sides of which are the ruins of some rooms.
Several towers can be found along the route from the Partal Gardens to the Generalife and the Upper Alhambra.
Andalusian and Islamic, the Alhambra was conceived as a city built for the royal court.
On the heels of the conquest of Granada in 1492, the Catholic Monarchs took measures to prevent the deterioration of the Alhambra and guarantee its preservation.
On the eve of his departure from Flanders in 1517 to take possession of the throne, Emperor Charles V gave orders to “take measures to set up proper chambers for his royal majesty and his court…in a way that would be easy and not cause too much trouble in so doing…”.
In June, 1526, the Emperor arrived in Granada with his wife, Isabel of Portugal, staying in the Alhambra. Extremely impressed by what they saw, the royal guests decided to establish their Imperial headquarters and build their dynastic pantheon there.
Thus, in 1528 six “new rooms”, comprising an “imperial suite”, were ordered built on the Muslim palatial grounds, with a corridor leading to the rooms, on the left of which was the Bath of Comares (Baño de Comares), transformed ever since into an entranceway.
Behind the corridor lies the Emperor’s office, with a chimney and coffered ceiling designed by Pedro Machuca in 1532.
Over the door is a stone plaque, which was placed there in 1914 by the Council of the Alhambra in honour of the American man of letters, Washington Irving, author of The Tales of the Alhambra, who in 1829 lodged in the adjoining rooms, known as the “Halls of Fruit” (Sala de Frutas), in reference to the ceiling decoration that was done by Julio Aquiles and Alejandro Mayner, disciples of Rafael de Sancio and Giovanni de Udine.
It has been said since the seventeenth century that “in this chamber Emperor Charles begot and his wife Empress Isabel conceived the most wise King Philip II.”