The Gate of the Wagons is not originally from the Nasrid period, it was carried out later, between 1526 and 1536.
The Renaissance gate replaced a previous one that was Muslim. On its tympanum is an imperial coat of arms topped by three pomegranates after which the gate is named.
This sculpture is dedicated to the figure of the famous New York writer Washington Irving (1783-1859) to commemorate the 150th anniversary of his death.
This is popularly known as the gate of Bibrrambla, Bab al-Ramla in Arabic or gate of Arenal, (sand) names that it adopted according to the place where it was originally located.
Located beside the Gate of Justice, its structure symbolizes the three rivers of Granada.
Also known as the Bride’s Palace or the Newlywed’s Palace.
Also known as Santa Elena’s Castle, it was built to guard and protect an area of the Generalife where water is channelled.
The Crimson Towers, a primitive structure, was probably part of a series of watchtowers that at one time belonged to the first Citadel of the Alhambra
The Catalans’ Villa is located in the southeast, adjacent to the Alhambra Wood, also known as the Split Rock.
he Rodriguez-Acosta Foundation was created in 1941, thanks to the benefaction of the painter Jose Maria Rodriguez-Acosta..
On the other side of the Gate of the Pomegranates is the Alhambra wood, with a road and two side trails.
In addition to being a natural reserve and a rustic area, the park has sporting facilities, hiking paths and places of archaeological interest.
The Alhambra complex is a venue for the activities of a number of cultural associations.
The Gate of the Wagons is not originally from the Nasrid period, it was carried out later, between 1526 and 1536, as an opening in the stretch of wall for the purpose of the building works for the construction of the Palace of Charles V. In the original project it was planned to locate a large porticoed Square of Arms with corresponding smaller squares in front of the façade. Although the project was unfinished, the land adjoining the palace was levelled out and the original intention is reflected in its name “the small squares”.
This gate was not just for pedestrian access, since as its name indicates it was used for the wagons that needed entry to the palace complex. At present it is the main entrance to the lower part of the Monumental Complex, providing access to different services and outbuildings of the Alhambra.