Ms Mercedes Arenas Rosa
The base of Nasrid society was formed by a wide variety of high quality trades and crafts. This presentation deals with various aspects of all of them, so as to provide a general idea of the different crafts and jobs:
• We will begin by explaining how they were organized: division by guilds, neighbourhoods, categories. We will also be discussing different trades, such as tailoring, textiles (flax, cotton, dyes), shops (dress-making and second-hand) and shoe-makers.
• The tax system governing trades: inspectors, scribes, book-keepers and the associated bureaucratic organization.
• Composition based on agriculture: division by sectors such as sugar, silk, livestock, etc.
• ‘Urban’ commerce: markets, associations for buying and selling and money-lenders. We will also be talking about the furniture trade (marquetry, carpentry, metalwork, upholstery, leather covers that originated in Córdoba).
• Artistic trades: music, singing, design (silk fabrics, for example), tiling, ceramics, plasterwork, glass, poetry and writing.
Sundays 14th and 21st June, 12:00